[BaseCamp] BaseCamp on Linux ??

Gregg Lenentine gregg.lenentine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 11:59:18 PST 2021

A couple of things to consider:

1. Wine is fine, most of the time, and they get their updates from the "for
profit" side of the business called Crossover Office. Crossover isn't that
expensive and may be worth the investment. However, if you are tied to
OpenSource then Wine should work as well (except that Crossover Office
would/could work for other things besides Basecamp). YMMV

2. Skip Virtualbox on Linux, or Virtualbox on any platform. Oracle is doing
something to Virtualbox that is making it a dog in performance and
compatibility. There are a lot of people complaining about how Virtualbox
has been on the decline over the past few years. On Linux, for the truest,
most compatible performance, consider using KVM with Qemu and VirtManager.
KVM (or Kernel Virtual Manager) is as its name implies, is built INTO the
kernel, not as an application abstraction sitting on the kernel. If you are
unsure about how to install KVM on Linux, YouTube is your friend. Must be a
bazillion videos to watch on this subject.

Gregg
485