front axle binding?

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Sun Jul 22 22:44:42 PDT 2012

Drew,

When the wheel is in place and the front calipers not yet installed it
should definitely rotate absolutely freely and spin for several
rotations if spun by hand. If it doesn't something is not right.

I'd check the wheel bearings (when the wheel is out) by turning them
with a finger. They should turn freely and smoothly without the feeling
of something 'biting'  while turning. If not, have them replaced.

Getting the wheel back in place shouldn't be that difficult. I always
remove the front fender when working with the front wheel. It sits with
4 bolts and is easy to reinstall once the wheel is installed.

When installing the wheel, are you sure you got the spacers right? (Mine
is the ABS model, it's a bit different from yours, so I can't provede
any pictures). There should be one on the right side (your left when
working with the wheel) and the speedo gear housing on the other side.
When located right the wheel including spacer and speedo gear housing
should slide into place between the front forks. It may be easier if you
'jack up' the wheel with a piece of wood or something so that the wheel
center is aligned with the axle bolt. The difficult part here is to get
the speedo gear housing located right. There is a little tap or
something on it that will slide into a stop on the inside of the fork
leg. If this is not in place the right way the wheel will not spin
freely. Furthermore - with the axle not yet tightened - you will be able
to turn the speedo gear housing, and that shouldn't be the case. The tap
(or whatever it is - can't remember exactly) is there to ensure that the
speedo gear housing is angled just right for the speedo cable. If it
isn't it will cost you a speedo cable. It did for me once - the only
time I had the front tire replaced at the dealer's, so even the pro's
can get this wrong...

My guess is that it's the speedo gear housing that is causing you all
the trouble.

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark