front axle binding?

M & J Mason masonjs at nrtco.net
Sun Jul 22 15:54:53 PDT 2012

Drew:
When I re and re the wheels on a bike with a centre stand I use a 2nd jack.
I have a car jack from an Olds Vista Cruiser that lost its life in a local
demolition derby.  I place the jack under the exhaust manifold at the front
of the engine.  I place a short piece of wood on top of the jack.  I raise
the jack just enough to hold the wood in place then remove the axle from the
front wheel.  Then I raise the jack about 2 inches to remove the wheel and
tire from under the fender.  When I'm replacing the front wheel I can raise
or lower the wheel in small increments to put the f#$@K&n axle in place.
Doing the rear wheel I place the jack in the same position but it doesn't
get used until I'm replacing the wheel.  I get the wheel in under the
fender, get the chain, brakes and spacers in place the use the jack to align
the various openings to accept the axle.
I will admit this is a hell of a lot easier to write then it is to do.

Jim