[Tanx] [External] TA Problem. Please assist

Milt Rudy miltrudy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:42:18 PDT 2020

I've always done carb cleaning off the bike and have never used Techron in
a motorcycle because of an experience in the early '70s. My friend, Bill,
and I bought identical Kawi 250cc 2-stroke dual sport bikes in about 1975.
After a few years, he wanted to sell his and a buyer wanted to ride it.  We
all went riding in north NJ and had a great time until his bike, which the
buyer was riding, just stopped.  I checked the kick-start action (no
electric start then) and there was no resistance. Bill said he'd put some
Gumout in the tank to clean the carb; it had created so much heat it melted
a finger-size hole in the piston crown.  The melted aluminum had committed
some other ancillary chaos in the motor.  The buyer changed his mind. Maybe
Techron wouldn't do that, but I just swap out for fresh gas if it's been
sitting too long.  I also start it up and let it warm up thoroughly every
couple of weeks in the winter.
Milt