[Tanx] [External] TA Problem. Please assist

J. Braun braunj at cb77.org
Tue Jun 23 08:03:40 PDT 2020

I think I mentioned this before but I'll take a moment over my morning
coffee to repeat it.

Our bikes are 40 years old now! Both we, and the bikes, were more energetic
and better looking in 1989. One of the weak points of the Transalp was the
front forks. They were weak and squishy. By now the rear shock has seen
it's best days in the rear view mirror.

Standard practice was to install Progressive fork springs. While this
stiffens the forks, it makes them harsh and uncomfortable. I replaced my
rear shock some years ago with a Hagon unit that I liked but it finally
went south on my and Hagon availability is dicey since David Quinn stopped
selling them.

Fast forward to Race Tech. They installed the correct springs and cartridge
emulators in the forks. This is the correct spring rate plus the correct
dampening. Now I have a very controlled front end that's comfortable
on-road and very precise and compliant off-road.

In the rear they installed an Ohlins shock that is amazing. No more
oingo-boingo in back! They adjusted everything for my weight and set the
sag for my riding style. Surprisingly, it was no more expensive than other
quality shocks on the market and is rebuildable when it gets worn out.

The final price for both ends was about $1200. However, it was like getting
a brand new (and improved) Transalp. I went riding with some friends on
more modern adventure bikes and I gave up nothing to them on some pretty
tough terrain. It went where I pointed it and gripped the ground in a very
controlled manner. Some of the trails out here can make the Pachaug Loop
seem easy!

I now have 2 Euro Africa Twins but I still love my TA. The Race Tech
upgrades have given it a new lease on life and made it my go-to bike again.

J.

[image: IMG_20200531_145903.jpg]