[Tanx] Friend looking for a TA for sale someplace in New England

John Borella borella_ent at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 20 05:35:29 PST 2021

Those 92-94 R100Rs were terrible bikes, loaded with issues. Lots of electrical gremlins. Last of the Airheads & I guess BMW just said the hell with it. I used to hate to see one come in the shop. Don't judge all Airheads by that turkey. A good friend of mine put 250K on his 1977 R100S before he was killed last year when a car came around a corner in his lane in upstate N.Y.. I road all over the U.S., Canada & northern Mexico from 1976 up into the 1990s putting on over 100,000 miles on my R90/S & it always got me back home. I've also done several 4 week/8-10k cross country trips on a Ducati 907ie with no issues so maybe I'm just lucky.

John Borella

Bavarian Money Wasters.  I like that.  I had a ‘92 R100R until it nearly bankrupted me.  That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it.  I bought it cheap and had to invest $500 - $750 a year for maintenance and repairs.  But when the rear end of the driveshaft let loose on the interstate that was the end.  It cost about a grand to fix and that was a bargain.  It is the only bike which has stranded me, twice.  The airheads are cult bikes for sure but if you don’t have money to throw away to stay in the “club”, owning one is not worth it unless you can do all repair work yourself.

I looked for a TA literally for years before finding one in decent shape within a day’s drive of home.  I paid more for my TA than I did for the BMW but it has been more reliable.  That said, when it’s cool, it starts on one cylinder. The front cylinder doesn’t start working for 15 minutes – I’ve actually timed it.  My mechanic who works on a lot of older bikes, can’t find the problem.  CDI’s have been changed, carbs cleaned, spark plugs replaced, and valves adjusted.  Has anyone had this problem?

Tyler

VT