[Tanx] Friend looking for a TA for sale someplace in New England

J. Braun braunj at cb77.org
Sat Feb 20 08:36:50 PST 2021

This is a comparison between apples and oranges. They are both fruit
/motorcycles but different.

I've owned a couple of BMWs (R69S, R100RS) but only one Transalp. That
said, the R100RS was every bit as reliable and enjoyable once Peter at Moto
Bogotara straightened out the PO's lack of proper maintenance. When I sold
it to Marcus last year he rode it back to NY without a problem.

BMW made their reputation back when the choice was BMW or Triumph/BSA. They
have had some stunning failures like the transmissions in 1977 that had to
be replaced straight out of the crate. However, their customer service was
such that the riders were able to look forward to a reliable, if
unemotional, motorcycle. They have been able to market themselves as a
premium brand with premium prices. Moreover, they have broadened their
product line while retaining their image. Something that Harley Davidson
must envy.

Chains vs shafts, potAYto, potAHto. Each has benefits and drawbacks. On the
RS a shaft drive was fine. On my Aprilia RST the chain has been equally
excellent. I think it's more a matter of personal preference for the bike
than any choice of drive. I.E. I would choose a GS or Africa Twin because
of the overall features of the bike rather than solely because of the drive
mode.

Today, I'll be working on my '65 Honda Scrambler to get it ready for
spring. It has weak suspension, a lumpy engine, and a seat made out of the
very finest mahogany! It has Dunlop K70s that let me ride pavement or
back-country gravel roads. It puts a huge smile on my face which is the
whole point of owning a motorcycle for me. Everything else is just details.

J.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 7:31 AM John Borella via Tanx <
tanx at lists.micapeak.com> wrote:

> You might prefer a chain to a driveshaft but that certainly doesn't make a
> chain better. Depends on the type of riding you like to do. For long
> distance riding, which is what BMWs were once designed for, it's hard to
> beat a driveshaft. Now they sell a number of models with chains or belts.
> Nothing cheap ($$) about modern o'ring chains & sprockets especially since
> they fall under regular maintenance. As for obsolete parts I can still
> order every part for my R90/S from any BMW dealer. Try that with your
> Transalp.
>
> John Borella

There's two theories to arguing with a woman,
Neither one works.

Read my blog - mondaymotomadness.blogspot.com