[BaseCamp] How do I join routes?

Tim Bowman tk.bowman at comcast.net
Tue Apr 14 09:32:07 PDT 2015

With the current discussion about joining routes, it's important to note
some shortcomings of joining routes and a few other route matters.  Keep in
mind that I do join routes, but I try to be sparing in doing it.  Here's
what I've found:

- Longer routes can take much more time to recalculate on the GPS if the
rider deviates from the route.
- If the route includes too many waypoints, it can be silently truncated
losing some waypoints.
- The longer route may be harder to edit on your GPS device (if you are
inclined to do so).
- Joining routes helps to provide a big picture of an intended ride.

For my LD riding, I try to shorten the route to 1/2 day in length; and
depending upon the number of waypoints, I may make it a day in length.
Often I find myself routing from waypoint to waypoint to keep the routing
simpler.  Also, since I use a Garmin Montana, I save one copy of the route
on my PC with the route preferences set as DIRECT.   This route when
transferred to the Montana allows me to edit the route 'on the fly'.  Using
other profiles doesn't allow me to edit the route.

Tim Bowman
Burien, WA